If you want to become a well-trained, highly qualified special education teacher, we invite you to consider LDA.
We require the following criteria for entrance into teacher candidate programs at LDA Minnesota:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited higher education institution (does not need to be in the education field but does need to be from an accredited institution)
- Passing scores on the Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills exams in reading, writing, and math (not the pedagogy or content). Original scores will be submitted to LDA Minnesota.
- 20 hours of working with children
- Completed application to LDA Minnesota’s program and $75 application fee ($50 will be applied toward first quarter tuition, if the candidate is accepted into the program)
- 1-2 page single-spaced personal statement expressing why you are interested in special education. If your GPA is below 2.0, please address that in your personal statement.
- Resume and two letters of recommendation submitted with application. These recommendations can be from previous supervisors, colleagues, or instructors who may speak to your potential to be a good special education teacher and succeed in graduate-level courses.
- Official transcript from undergraduate institution
- Interview with LDA Minnesota Program Manager and/or small panel
Download the Application for LDA ABS license and apply today!
Or, complete our online Application Form.
Applicants are required to submit two recommendations. Recommendations can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or Recommenders may use on online Recommendation Form.
Pay your $75 application fee through our online payment system.
Do you have questions about our application? Please call us at 952-582-6000 or email email@example.com. We are happy to help!
Candidate Admission Timeline for Fall 2019
LDA will provide information sessions about the program, its requirements and timelines, and graduation requirements regularly throughout the year to interested candidates. Our Program Manager is available to advise and answer potential teacher candidate questions about the program requirements, steps to licensure, and strengths of LDA’s program.
- July 8 Application deadline for LDA Minnesota’s licensure programs – Extended! LDA has a few more open slots for Fall 2019 – Apply today!
- July 15-24 Candidate interviews
- August 9 Acceptance notifications sent to cohort candidates
- August 9 Final official transcripts (with BA degree posted) sent to LDA Minnesota
- August 23 Orientation and welcome of first cohort
- August 23 Payment due for Fall classes
- August 31 MN NES Essential Academic Skills in reading, writing and math exams score reports submitted to LDA with passing scores
- Sept. 3 First day of classes