Parent-teacher conferences provide an opportunity for parents to receive information about their child’s performance and progress in school. Parent-teacher conferences usually take place several times during a year. Contact your child’s school or teacher to get dates and times of conferences.
Before you parent-teacher conference:
• Make a list of questions that you have about your child’s learning that you would like the teacher to answer.
• Talk with your child before conferences. Some conferences are designed for both the students and the parent to attend. Check with your child’s school to see if your child should also attend the conference.
• Ask your child what they think their teacher will say.
• Ask what they like and dislike about school.
• Ask your child if there is anything they would like you to talk about.
• Gather any information about your child you would like the teacher to know.
During your parent-teacher conference:
• Be on time.
• Take notes.
• Ask questions about your child’s learning as well as social skills.
• What is my child’s strongest and weakest subject?
• What can I do at home?
• Does my child complete assignments and homework?
• How well does my child get along with teachers and students?
• How are grades determined?
• What tests will my child be given this year?
• Share information about your child.
• How much your child reads at home
• Any special talents that may not be addressed at school
• What your child likes and dislikes about school
• Any health issues
• Update any information that may have changed such as, addresses, phone numbers or emergency contact information.
• Thank the teacher for her/his time.
Harvard Family Research Project. (2010). Parent–Teacher Conference Tip Sheets for Principals, Teachers, and Parents. Retrieved from http://www.hfrp.org/var/hfrp/storage/fckeditor/File/Parent-Teacher-ConferenceTipSheet-100610.pdf
Canter, A. (2002). Parent-Teacher Conferences. Retrieved July 22, 2003, from teachers and families Web site: www.teachersandfamilies.com
Surviving Parent Teacher Conferences. (n.d). Retrieved July 22, 2003, from National Mental Health and Education Center Web site: http://www.naspcenter.org/parents/ptconf.html